Friday, September 26, 2008

Putting on the Ritz (Day 57)

No ... today's title doesn't refer to glitz and glamor ... going out and painting the town red. It's all about crackers ... lousy little round crackers with almost half their calories from fat. Stupid little crackers that my husband loves to take camping with him. Horrible (but delicious) crackers that have been sitting on the top shelf of my cupboard for the last two weeks since my dear husband came home from camping -- a six day trip during which he ate less than half a "roll" of crackers. Lousy leftover crackers that caught my eye lastnight when I was feeling weak. I ate two rolls ... two whole rolls of crackers! And the really bad thing is I had already had dinner. A very nice healthy dinner just a few hours earlier. I shouldn't have played hookie from choir practice. If I had gone, spent some time filling my soul with song ... fellowshiping with other Christians ... praising God, I know I could have avoided this cracker crisis.

And this wasn't the first time this week I've had a problem. The pain from an injured shoulder has had me seeking solace in food a few times. A couple days ago there was a cheesecake crisis ... you don't wanna know. Actually, truth is, I don't want to tell. Let's just say I blew a whole day's calories on cheesecake ... nuff said.

Consequently, the scale is no longer my friend. Instead of subtracting pounds, it's been adding them. I really don't think it can be correct. Because even while overindulging (OK ... over eating) I kept track of everything I ate and I know there's no way it can be accurate. It's a simple mathematical equation. Every 3,500 calories you eat in excess of what your body burns is turned into one pound of fat on your body. I figure, at the most, I deserve to have the scale register 1/4 - 1/2 pounds higher, using this simple math. So I know that number I saw this morning is not accurate. It can't be! (Me thinks the lady doth protest too much?!) I'll give it a couple days, get back to exercising regularly, and check it again.

OK ... so my shoulder injury came from lifting some weights on Saturday. I thought I would start work on firming and just over did it, and actually sprained my upper arm/shoulder. It was my left shoulder. The same one that the doctor diagnosed with adhesive capsulitis back in July. I went through physical therapy last month and thought it was all better. It is better, but obviously not as strong as my right arm/shoulder, which had no problem with the weights. There was a few of days of severe pain that I muddled through with Motrin and vicodin. And now, just Motrin. So, I didn't exercise for a couple days, but I started back today doing a mile this morning and a mile when I got home from work.

Here's a chart showing my nutritional info for the past month. I've been averaging 1751 calories per day with 12% of calories from fat ... even with my over indulging (OK ... gluttony!). I'd like to get the fat down to less than 10%. I have read that a really low fat diet is so important for reversing diabetes. So much for Ritz crackers ... I'm going to go put the rest down the sink. I'm not feeling tempted now, but I'm going to do it anyway. My husband will probably have a fit ... or think I ate them all. I don't care ... they're outta here!

No comments: