Thursday, September 4, 2008

Victory over temptation! (Day 35)

Whew! I can barely find time to blog between work, exercising (6 days a week), group Bible study, small group training classes, choir rehearsal and my daily Lord's Table online Bible study, not to mention my own daily personal time of devotion and Bible study ... but life is good. I am beginning to feel like a disciplined person. And a little over a week ago I noticed a definite decline in the amount of pain I had been in. I really think the exercise has been helping with the pain management, not to mention the loss of 16 pounds that this old body isn't hauling around anymore! Yeah, baby!

It hasn't been all fun and games, but it does seem like it has been easy. Easier than before. Learning to "feast" on the Lord and having Him supply all that my hungry heart needs is definitely the answer to breaking free from the bondage of food. I'm realizing that is exactly what it was ... I was in bondage ... chained in the habitual sin of overeating, trying to satisfy my spiritual needs with physical food when what I really needed is to eat of the Bread of Life and drink the Living Water. I'm definitely drinking from the well, now. I pray I will continue. You can pray for me too. I'll take all the prayer I can get!

It hasn't been without temptation, however. I struggled with temptation at work just today. And temptation's name was chocolate. It was a little stressful today, lots of work to do, not enough time to do it. It was late afternoon and everyone else had gone home. In the midst of my stress I found myself wandering over to my co-worker's desk; a land flowing with milk and honey ... milk chocolate, that is. My dear friend keeps a bowl of candy, chocolate bars and Hershey kisses on her desk ... just there for anyone who wants them. I have not been in that dish for over 35 days now. But there on top, it caught my eye: a BIG bar of "World's Finest Chocolate" ... the kind they sell for fund raisers ... and I was all alone with it. It had been there the day before too. I had resisted the temptation yesterday. But today I actually picked it up, held it just under my nose, closed my mouth and breathed in ohhhh soooo sloooowly wanting to savor the fragrance, thinking perhaps a whiff, even through the wrapper, would hold some satisfaction for me. Immediate conviction brought me to my senses. "Whaddya doing?! Are you crazy?!" I asked myself ... outloud. What was I thinking? Doing the devil's work by tempting myself? I made it a sacrifice on the altar of my heart and laid it down immediately. This was not my desire ... and to the Word I went ... and then home to exercise and have dinner before choir practice.

OK ... this was dinner tonight. Doesn't it look like a yummy hamburger?! What is that on my bun ... is it a bird? is it a cow? ... no ... it's super bean burger! A mixture of kidney beans, veggies and oatmeal. Here's the recipe on the web. I actually had to add almost a cup of oatmeal 'cause I processed the mixture too much in my food processor. I think the recipe calls for 1/2 cup. I also added some soy grits. I "fried" my patty in a non stick skillet and just put all my favorite burger toppings on the bread. It was awesome!

Here's a graphic showing my nutritional info for the past month. I have averaged 1625 calories per day with 10% of the calories from fat.

No comments: