Saturday, August 2, 2008

Kickin' it at home (Day 3)

This is last night's "fast food" dinner. Better than anything you'll get from McD's or Taco Bell! Black Beans and rice and mixed veggies. Yum ...black beans have got to be one of my favorite foods. So good for you, so low in fat, so satisfying. I love them with just a little salt, garlic powder and cumin sprinkled on top. The fast part was just opening up the can, throwing them on top of some pre-cooked, frozen rice and pairing with some frozen mixed veggies. Three minutes in the microwave and I was in healthy food heaven. I added the chopped tomatoes and red onion after the microwave. Yum! This was my biggest meal of the day at about 450 calories. Kept me full all night, which was good 'cause I didn't get to bed early as I had hoped.


Here's this morning's breakfast. Home baked oat and bananna muffins (my original recipe). Along with the fruit and yogurt, breakfast was about 300 calories.

Today I've just been hanging around the house cleaning out cupboards, planning meals, prepping food ... setting myself up for success.



Oat and Banana Muffins


Ingredients: 2 banannas, mashed; 1/2 cup oatmeal; 1/2 cup soymilk; 1/4 cup oat bran; 1/4 cup soy grits; 1/4 cup garbanzo bean flour; 1/4 cup Splenda (or other sugar alternative); 2 Tbsp. water; 1 tsp. cinnamon; 1 tsp. baking powder; 1/4 tsp. vanilla


Instructions: Preheat oven to 325 degrees farenheit. Mix all dry ingredients together in bowl. Mix all wet ingredients together in separate bowl. Combine the two bowls together and mix until all ingredients are combined. Do not over mix. Fill non stick muffin tin and bake for 15-18 minutes until done.


Notes: My heart muffin tin holds about 3 tbsp. of mix per muffin and I get 12 cute little heart muffins. If you are using a larger muffin tin, you will probably get 6 regular size muffins and will have to vary the time accordingly.These are very dense muffins. Bob's Red Mill makes garbanzo bean flour and it is available, as well as the soy grits, at Harvest House in Concord and, most likely, other health food stores. I added the garbanzo bean flour because it adds a sweet, nutty taste, as well as providing great protein.

No comments: