Monday, August 4, 2008

Dining Out with victory

I went out to dinner tonight with my sister ... to the chinese buffet. Now ... I knew we were going to do this, so I prepared myself. I wrote down on paper exactly what I was going to allow myself to choose from the buffet. I made a pact with myself that I would not eat anything that was not on the paper. So what do you think the outcome was?! (Drum roll, please.) I DID IT! Victory ... yes! I had a couple pieces of sushi, baked salmon, rice and veggies, no dessert! Can I get an atta girl?!

When dining out at the buffet in the past, I have set out with the best of intentions and talked to myself about good choices and how I would stick to them, but, somehow, it all seems to go by the wayside when confronted with ... well ... coconut shrimp ... egg rolls ... pot stickers ... Peking pork ... sweet and sour chicken ... french fries. Tell me why is it that chinese buffets always have french fries?! Anyway ... I really think the list helped.

Victory at the Chinese Buffet
I will be victorious
Tonight, when I go out to eat.
I can do all things through Him,
And so, I do not fear defeat.

I have made a covenant;
A binding contract with myself.
I will choose only those foods
That will assist me to good health.

I am armed and well prepared
With my God-inspired list,
And any food that is not shown
Will not make it to my dish.

I'll allow no substitutes;
No legal loopholes will I find.
No amount of temptation
Will cause me to change my mind.

Copyright © 2008 by Jennifer Welsh
August 4, 2008

No comments: