Monday, August 4, 2008

Taking it easy (Day 5)

This is a yummy snack I had on Saturday. Healthy, homemade spinach dip on a rice cake with carrots chips and more spinach dip to, well, dip 'em in.


One of the problems with being the only one in your household trying to change eating habits and choose healthy, whole, nutritious foods, is that when you make a batch of something, for instance this spinach dip which makes 4 cups, you're going to be eating it for days. Either that, or freezing some, which is handy, but this really would not freeze well at all. So ... I had my rice cake and spinach snack a couple times on Saturday, again on Sunday and I even had it for breakfast this morning ... no lie, along with a couple muffins. This also makes a great vegetarian sandwich spread on whole grain bread with romaine, tomatoes, onions, and sliced red peppers. Here's the recipe:


Spinach Dip
Ingredients:
1 pkg. (10 oz.) Mori Nu Silken Firm Light Tofu; 1/2 pkg. frozen spinach, thawed and drained; 1/2 cup fat free mayonnaise; 1/4 cup dehydrated vegetable flakes (Winco has these in the bulk food bins); 1 small can water chestnuts, chopped; 3 Tbsp. nutritional yeast; 1 Tbsp. lemon juice; 1Tbsp. Tamari (or other) soy sauce; 1 tsp. onion powder; 1/2 tsp. salt

Instructions:
Place all ingredients, except water chestnuts, in the bowl of your food processor. Process in pulses until combined. Empty into bowl and stir in chopped water chestnuts. Chill for at least one hour before serving. Makes @ 4 cups.

Nutritional Info per 1/4 cup serving:
35 Calories, 5 g carbohydrates, 1.3 g fiber, 3.3 g protein, .3 g fat (that's less than 3 calories from fat)


I'm taking it easy today. Mondays are a day off, so I usually spend them doing laundry (gotta get to that soon) and some house cleaning. I baked another batch of banana oat muffins this morning to get me through the next few days. Brewed a big pot of green tea (decaffeinated) to make a pitcher of iced tea ... full of antioxidants. Spent some time with God ... the most important thing of every day. Read through 1 Peter. That was a good read. Finished a poem I started yesterday. Wrote another new one ... short, but sweet.



Muffins with My Master
Muffins with my Master:
A breakfast so divine;
One of my very favorites;
An outstanding way to dine.

This "Breakfast of Champions"
Begins my day just right;
The food ... healthy and yummy,
The discussion ... a delight.

Copyright © 2008 by Jennifer Welsh
August 4, 2008

No comments: