Thursday, August 7, 2008

Down from 210 to 142! (Day 8)

From 210 down to 142 ... Yahoo! No ... not my weight. Don't I wish! These numbers represent my fasting glucose from the past week ... down 68 points all due to the way I have been eating. This is a success! This is the way to health. In a couple weeks I am sure I will be able to stop taking Glipizide (an oral Type 2 Diabetes medication) entirely. The scale did also have good news for me this morning ... down 4 pounds this week.

Today's food featured a nectarine sundae for breakfast: 1 nectarine cut in half with 6 oz. of low fat, sugar free yogurt spooned over the top and sprinkled with 1/4 cup of grape nuts, for about 200 calories.
Lunch was an "eggless" salad sandwich with pretzels and pineapple rings (pictured) for about 250 calories. I had more "eggless" salad on rice cakes for afternoon snack with my girlfriends in the office. The recipe got their thumbs up, so I have included it below.

Dinner was, for the third night in a row, baked potato with creamed corn and a side of green beans for about 275 calories. Evening snack was pretzels and a chocolate shake!

How'd I swing a shake, you ask? Here's how: 1 frozen banana, 8 oz. low fat soy milk, 1 tbsp. Wonderslim fat free cocoa (available at Raleys and Harvest House) and 8 drops stevia for 211 cool, frosty calories... Yummy, oh my yes!

Eggless Salad

Ingredients: 1 pkg. Mori Nu lite silken tofu (firm); 1 stalk finely chopped celery; 1/4 cup fat free mayonnaise; 2Tbsp. chopped onion; 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar; 2 tsp. dried chives; 1 tsp. mustard; 1/2 tsp. tumeric; 1/4 tsp. onion powder; 1/4 tsp. garlic powder; 1/4 tsp. dill weed; 1/8 tsp. salt

Directions: Mash the tofu in a medium bowl with a fork or potato masher until finely crumbled. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Chill at least 2 hours before serving to allow the flavors to mix and develop. Makes approx. 2/14 cups. Nutritional info for 1/8 cup serving: 24 calories; 2 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; .2 g fat (11% fat overall)

No comments: