Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Food Goals (Day 6)

It was muffins with The Master again this morning, plus a nectarine (about 265 calories). Yum! Lunch was a roller sandwich. I love these things. This picture shows you how it looked before it was rolled up. The after picture was blurry. This has got about 1 Tbsp. of WW Cream Cheese (1 point--although I am not following the point system), some of my spinach dip, tomatoes, red onions, romaine, and red peppers ... all for about 200 calories. Oh my gosh, it was wonderful. With a large steamed beet, lunch was about 250 calories.

Snacked on raw veggies during the afternoon at work (about 50 calories). Came home and had another snack of rice cakes with Better'N Peanut Butter and fruit spread. I was feeling a little agitated and needed a healthy "comfort" food and PBJ or rather BPBF, in this case, is one of my comfort foods. I figure I'm at about 795 calories so far today. So I'm looking good. I guess I haven't yet shared my daily food goals with you. Here they are:



Daily Food Goals

Calories: Not less than 1200/not more than 1800
Fat: no more than 15% of total calories from fat
Protein: No more than 20% calories from protein
Carbohydrates: 65%
Fiber: not less than 30 grams fiber
Sodium: no more than 1500 mg. (this is the one that kills me)
Water: 8- 10 glasses



This is what I consider a healthy, balanced diet, based upon the research I have done. Carbs have gotten a bad rap, but the truth is carbohydrates are our bodies primary source of energy and our brain's food of choice ... complex carbohydrates that is, like whole grains, beans, vegetables, nuts and seeds. The latter, however are full of fat and should be used sparingly.

Also, I set my fiber goal at not less than 30 mg. but most days I will get more than that. It's not hard to do when you're eating mostly vegetables, fruits and starches/grains. Most people, however, don't even get 12-13 mg per day, and their colons are suffering for it. Just call me Fiber Girl! I can't stress enough the benefits of fiber in your diet. One word of caution, however, increase your fiber intake very slowly. A sudden increase can cause problems ... been there, done that, ugh!

No comments: